Attend this two-hour session to learn about the challenges including moisture management, techniques and materials for internally insulating traditionally built properties with solid stone and brick walls.
Modern cavity wall buildings are usually insulated within the cavity. However, in the UK 28% (approximately 7 million) of all houses have solid wall construction and obviously cavity insulation is not a solution for their thermal upgrade.
External wall insulation could be an option however it is not always preferable or permissible, either because it inevitably changes the external appearance of the building or because of regulatory restrictions (e.g. listed buildings). Internal wall Insulation is more difficult and sometimes more expensive to apply, however the thermal comfort, potential energy savings and moisture regulation make it worthwhile.
Internal insulation will change the nature of the wall and the way the building performs. It can incorporate risks and may create more problems than benefits if not well-thought-out and designed appropriately.
Training will be with expert trainers Ilias Igoumenidis, Technical Support Engineer, Ecological Building Systems and Dave Judd, Technical Sales Executive, Ecological Building Systems. They will discuss all the parameters to be considered in relation to internal wall insulation.
The seminar will cover:
- The impact of moisture on solid walls
- Primary drivers of moisture ingress
- Building physics and how the wall functions before and after applying insulation
- The necessity of moisture management
- The importance of using diffusion open materials to ensure structural safety and longevity
- Thermal insulation materials: types, uses, environmental impact
- Using natural insulation to reduce CO2 emissions and energy costs
- What to avoid and best practice solutions depending on property and condition of existing wall
- Case study discussion of proven approaches
- Installation and application guidance to avoid pitfalls
- Discussion of various solid wall insulation systems using scaled ‘real-life’ practical models
This seminar is part of a series of 3 events on "A fabric first approach to healthier more energy efficient new and existing buildings" and includes:
- How to Internally Insulate Solid Stone and Brick Walls
- Roofs, External Walls & Floors
- Achieving Airtightness
Each event can be attended as a stand alone course, or if attending the whole series they will complement each other.
- Book all 3 in the series for a reduced rate: £95 for members, £130 non-members - a saving of over 10% compared to booking separately!
About the trainers
Technical Support Engineer at Ecological Building Systems. Born and raised in Greece, Ilias graduated from the Polytechnic school of Civil Engineers of Patras University and for many years ran his own Design and Construction company prior to moving to the UK. Since 2013, he has been heavily involved with low energy consumption in building projects. He was the first person in the Hellenic Passive House Institute to gain the International Certification of a Certified Passive House Designer. Ilias played a significant part of the first Certified Passive House project [Enerphit] in the south eastern Mediterranean area “Passivistas”. Recent projects that Ilias has been involved with include:
- Agar Grove, London Borough of Camden, 500 affordable homes for new and existing tenants, putting energy performance and fuel poverty top of the agenda, Hawkins\Brown Architects.
- Glen Cottage, Allonby, Cumbria, internal and external renovation of solid stone property with Diathonite Evolution system.
- St Leonards, Chelsea, London, renovation with Diathonite Evolution and Calsitherm climate board systems, Design & Visual Concepts contractors.
Dave Judd is Technical Sales Executive at Ecological Building Systems.
Dave has extensive experience with energy efficiency retrofits and is well acquainted with the “fabric first” principles of integrating airtightness and insulation in both new-build and existing buildings.
He has also worked within the domestic renewable energy sector, with the main emphasis on solar PV, solar thermal and biomass systems. He has a Degree in Environmental Science and an MSc in Architecture: Advanced Environment & Energy Studies.
What have previous delegates said about previous seminars with these trainers?
"Excellent diagrams clearly explaining the concepts and practical examples and common problem descriptions."
"Very clear, helpful and very well done!"
"Excellent ... good mix of technical and practical demonstration."
Working in partnership with
|Members (This event only)||£30.00|
|Non-Members (This event only)||£40.00|
|Members (3 event series)||£110.00|
|Non-Members (3 event series)||£150.00|
Event terms and conditions
Help spread the word
Please help us and let your friends, colleagues and followers know about our page: ES1: How to Internally Insulate Solid Stone and Brick Walls - Online
You can also share the below link in an email or on your website: