- Date: –
- Categories: Business support
Register for each event individually or book the whole series to get a substantial discount - scroll down for all dates in the series.
Modern Methods of Construction (MMC) have not yet been widely adopted in UK housing partly because of higher perceived, and often actual, cost; and inflexible solutions. But flexible MMC can deliver net-zero homes at moderate cost. We will review the pros and cons of different approaches and the opportunities for practical, cost-effective delivery now.
This webinar series coincides with delivery of a ground-breaking, net-zero housing scheme in Essex – utilising a flexible, accessible, affordable MMC approach. The scheme is due on site shortly and the delivery team will give us an insight into the challenges they have addressed, and the opportunities this project is creating. There will also be opportunities to visit the site during the construction phase.
This two-hour online session will cover:
- Recap - the different definitions of net-zero in construction, who is using them and how these will drive briefs and specifications
- A review of the main approaches to MMC currently used in the UK – including volumetric, panelised and platform construction - pros and cons
- Can MMC be a practical, cost-effective solution to the net-zero housing challenge and a true alternative to traditional construction – and if so how?
- How much will it cost – and what are the other key benefits and advantages of MMC over traditional construction, given competitive cost?
- Practical examples of efficient, effective MMC in use – including ground-breaking, net-zero housing scheme in Essex using accessible, flexible MMC approach
Terry McGivern, ex-Development Director at Hanson Building Products and ASW Construction Systems and Chief Executive of London Building Centre, will host the session.
Paul Davenport, Director at Montare (an innovative housing developer based in East Herts), Ben Dyer of Dyer Developments, and EK Architects are working together on a ground-breaking, cost-effective net-zero housing scheme in Essex - utilising flexible, accessible MMC. A member of the team will give us an insight into the challenges, and opportunities this is creating.
This live and interactive session will have Q&A breaks to allow participants to ask questions of the speakers.
All events in this series
Can be booked as a series or individually:
- TGR members: £30 per session // £150 for all 8 sessions (save £90)
- Standard non-member rate: £40 per session // £200 for all 8 sessions (save £120)
Attendance will make you eligible for Green Register membership
This event is held in conjunction with:
The ENE project is funded by the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding.
Event terms and conditions
Help spread the word
Please help us and let your friends, colleagues and followers know about our page: ENE Series: Session 5 Cost effective net-zero housing using MMC – an emerging opportunity
You can also share the below link in an email or on your website: